Kurpark Bad Driburg


Bad Driburg

 

The spa gardens have their origin in the avenue with double rows of linden trees, which was laid out by prince bishop Ferdinand von Fürstenberg in 1669. An avenue at right angles to this was added at the beginning of the 18th century. Today these two avenues still determine the basic structure of the park, the mineral spring being located at the point where the two avenues meet.

The creator of the spa complex was Caspar Heinrich von Sierstorpff who, in the spirit of enlightenment, made Bad Driburg a place of "rural pleasure". To the west of the spring he realised the first landscaped park. Views of the Egge Mountains remove the border between the formalised areas and the surrounding landscape. Winding paths were created on the Rosenberg with a view to beautifying nature and shrubs and trees were also planted there. The spa complex underwent constant expansion under von Sierstorpff's successors.  

Towards the end of the 19th century the park was enlarged towards the south. This area still impresses the visitor today with the broad curves of its paths, its lawns and solitary trees. The lake with the "Diotima" island forms the highlight of the area.

A notable feature of the park is the planting of the flowerbeds, which changes throughout the course of the year.