Hatchlands Park


Prologue

 

 

 

Hatchlands house and park lie just east of East Clandon village, near Guildford, north of the main Guildford to Leatherhead road (A246). The National Trust owns the estate of 170ha, which includes the park of 80ha. The house and garden are regularly open to the public. The house is approached through the park, which has a good legacy of large, old trees.

The solid, redbrick house at Hatchlands was built in the 1750s, for Admiral Boscawen, hero of the Battle of Louisburg. It contains splendid interiors by Robert Adam, decorated in appropriately nautical style. It houses the Cobbe Collection, the world’s largest group of keyboard instruments associated with famous composers such as Purcell, J C Bach, Chopin, Mahler and Elgar, as well as with Marie Antoinette.

The surrounding parkland was re-designed by Humphrey Repton around 1800. Early in the 20th century Gertrude Jekyll designed gardens adjoining the house, one of which has recently been restored and is at its best from late May to early July. Another attraction is the bluebell wood, which flowers in May. Mr H Goodhart-Rendel gave the property to the National Trust in 1945.