Wendlinghausen Castle Park


Wendlinghausen

 

 

 

Wendlinghausen water castle, which was built between 1613 and 1616 by Hilmar von Münchhausen, lies in the Lipper Mountains. The unadorned castle is a typical example of the Weser Renaissance. In 1731 the impressive complex was acquired by the von Reden family, the present owners.

The park owes its existence to Ernst von Reden (1806 - 1869), who planted numerous non-native trees and shrubs in an approximately two-hectare area which had previously been a cattle field.

After the first world war, his grandson Otto von Reden (1877 - 1962) commissioned garden inspector Paul Lässig of Magdeburg to redesign the park. He created vistas and planted exotic trees such as the giant weeping beech or the oriental spruces. Of particular note are an almost two-hundred-year-old tulip-tree, a wing nut and a Japanese magnolia. Among the impressive conifers are an approximately 180-year-old Canadian hemlock, several giant western red cedars as well as rare oriental spruces. The trees are labelled with their botanical and German names. In the spring the visitor can enjoy numerous early-flowering plants such as primroses, larkspur, anemones, bluebells (scilla) and daffodils.